We all know that the incidence of cold and flu increases during the fall and winter, so it’s time to take action. We need to take those extra steps that give your immune system its best chance to kill off viruses and bacteria when you’re exposed. So first we need to recognize that the immune system does not operate like an ON/OFF switch. There are many ways that the body can kill off these bugs which means that we need to support as many of these functions as possible. If you follow the advice below, does that mean that you won’t get sick? Of course not—but these are tools that give your entire immune system the support it needs to function at its best.
• Vitamin D: When Vitamin D levels reach 40-50ng/ml, your immune system turns on an agent called cathelicidin which is a first line of defense for your cells to kill off pathogens.
• ProFlora Excellence: Research has shown that the probiotic strains L. Acidophilus NCFM and B. Lactis BI-07 were able to reduce the incidence of rhinorrhea, cough, fever and antibiotic use by 58%, 62%, 72% and 84% respectively. Probiotics have been shown in many studies to boost immune functions by improving the intestinal barrier and creating antimicrobial substances like bacteriocins, hydrogen peroxide, lactoferrin and lactoperoxidase.
• Immunotrophics: Combines an advanced, buffered vitamin C (C Power—see below), a custom seven-mushroom blend, zinc, oleanolic acid and selenium. While zinc, oleanolic acid and selenium support immune function, the mushrooms in immunotrophics have been shown in research to support T helper cell production, increase macrophage activation, increase CD4 cells, increase NK function, and improve T helper cell activity.
• C Power: a patented blend of different forms of buffered vitamin C and flavonoids that’s been shown to have 25% better white blood-cell uptake than regular vitamin C. It also boosts natural killer cell function for over 24 hours. It’s gentle on the stomach and available in tablets or powder.
• Multi Intense: Many immune problems are worsened by even a slight vitamin or mineral deficiency or insufficiency. Multi Intense is a comprehensive, well-absorbed multivitamin & multimineral with an excellent antioxidant profile to support all roles of the immune system.
• S.B. 1.0: A probiotic combination that has been shown to combat E. Coli, C. Dificile, Candida albicans, and Salmonella. Research also has shown that the strains L. rhamnosus HN001 and B. lactis HN019 in S.B. 1.0 enhance natural killer cell function and tumoricidal activity.
These are a few of the supplement choices that can give you that extra edge during the cold and flu season.